Hooksett,NH Fire-Rescue Banner
Fire Permits
Fire Prevention
Permits and Fees
Satisfaction Survey
Mission / Philosophy
Honor Guard

Town of Hooksett
Emergency Management
Hooksett Police

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How can I obtain a burning permit?

A: Permits to burn brush and yard debris may be obtained at the Safety Center or at Station 1 daily between 4:00 pm and 6:00 pm. There is no charge for a burning permit, which must be issued on the day you would like to burn.

A: During times of high forest fire danger or stronger than normal winds, permits shall/may not issued. You are welcome to call the station to inquire if permits are being issued on the day you would like to burn or check the the Division of Forest and Lands web site for the latest report.

A: Seasonal and commercial fire permits may also be available. For further information, see the Burning Permits page.

Q: How can I schedule a tour of the fire station for my children or civic group?

A: Groups are asked to schedule a tour by calling Fire Department Administration at (603) 623-7272, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 am and 4:00 PM.

A: Visitors are always welcome pending availability of personnel assigned to that station.

Q: How can I obtain a copy of a fire department report?

A: Visit the Fire Department Administration, located in the Hooksett Safety Center at 15 Legends Drive, during normal business hours, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday,and Friday, between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm. The office is closed on Wednesdays

Q: I would like to put an extinguisher in my home. What type should I buy?

A: See the Public Education page for the answer to this FAQ.

Q: Where should I put my smoke detectors and should I have more than one?

A: Install smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside each separate sleeping area and on every level of the home, including the basement. Interconnect all smoke alarms throughout the home. When one sounds, they all sound. For more information, download this PDF.

Q: How can I get a job as a firefighter?

A: Various firefighting classes are available at the New Hampshire Fire Acedmy (NHFA), as well as other institutions around the state. To become a full-time firefighter, you must pass Firefighter 1, Firefighter 2, and the Certified Career Firefighter classes. Along with that, you must obtain Emergency Medical Technician EMT) certification. Some fire departments also require you have a commercial driver's license, EMT-Intermediate or Paramedic, and/or Hazardous Materials Technician certifications.

After these are obtained, you must sign up for the New Hampshire Firefighter's Entrance Exam, put on annually by the NHFA. After successfully passing the written and physical portions of the exam, you are placed on a statewide eligibility list and are eligible to apply for firefighting positions throughout New Hampshire, until the eligibility list expires.

For more information, contact or visit the New Hampshire Fire Academy.

If you have any questions regarding fire prevention, safety or any other matter, please
contact your Fire - Rescue Department at (603) 623-7272 or E-Mail INFORMATION


  All Content Copyright; 2005-Present
All Rights Reserved
Hooksett Fire - Rescue Department - 15 Legends Drive - Hooksett, NH 03106
(603) 623-7272   (603) 626-6742 fax   INFORMATION
Updated April 30, 2017